top of page

Oys Yoga-gruppe

Offentlig·21 medlemmer

Morgan March

CAPTAIN MORGAN'S MARCH AKA - "Mynediad Câdpen Morgan," "Rhyfcigyrch Cadben/Cafiten Morgan." Welsh, March (whole time). The tune first appears in Edward Jones' Musical and Poetical Relicks of the Welsh Bards, 1st ed., 1784. "Captain Morgan's March" was reprinted in the 1794 edition of that work. Parry included it in his 1809 Welsh Melodies, but altered the terminal notes, which is the present form of the air. Kidson (Groves) says that, like many Welsh airs, great antiquity has been claimed for it, as, for example did Jane Williams in her History of Wales (1869) when she associated the tune with the rising of Rhys ap Morgan in Glamorganshire in 1294, and suggested the march was 'probably composed or selected by this Prince to animate the march of his followers'. Kidson himself finds no evidence of great antiquity, and on structural terms dates it the no later than the middle of the 18th century. He classifies it as one of the martial tunes that as a genre were immensely popular in the second half of the 18th century, and says that "it most likely is the composition of a regimental band-master, who has named it after some Captain Morgan associated with the regiment."Words to the tune were printed in Jones's 1784 edition and begin:

morgan march

would be pursuing him, and by negotiation I could delay Morgan's march. Second. I thought he would be compelled to informally parole and release the prisoners, as he had done on previous raids. THIRD. I was a prisoner, and, of course, had nothing to do but submit to any mode of imprisonment my captors should think proper, and was entirely at their disposal. At the request of Colonel Asper, of the One hundred and seventy-first Ohio National Guard (100-day's men), I afterward consented to sign the agreement, in order that we should do what was in our power for the benefit of the captured 100-day's men. The agreement was then drawn up by General Morgan's assistant inspector-general Captain Allen. When I read it I found it contained an obligation not to take up arms or give information, and contained the requirements of a parole. Every officer present emphatically refused signing the paper, and told Captain Allen we would accept a parole, and preferred going to Richmond. After a negotiation, in which the enemy had been delayed for four hours after the fight, the annexed agreement was signed, and we returned under flag of truce to Falmouth, arriving there at dusk on the 12th of June. The night of the 12th the three rebel officers and one private were placed under guard by the provost-marshal of the town under the charge of violating the privilege of flag of truce by associating with rebel sympathizers and receiving visitors and waling around the town. It is proper to mention here that the Federal officers were the prisoners of the rebel officers, and that they passed into our lines without being met by a flag of truce, and took up with them. 041b061a72

Om

Velkommen til gruppen! Du kan få kontakt med andre medlemmer...

medlemmer

bottom of page